History of Castrelo
Castrelo plant consists of a run-of-the-river plant built in 1956 with a diversion dam built in brickwork, from where the water is taken.
A diversion channel, with various branches set in the hillside and in tunnels, leads the water to the load chamber.
Power plant facilities
- It is 13 m high and a crest length of 76 m
- The maximum normal capacity of the reservoir is 0.1 hm3
- The plant's penstock is made of steel, with a diameter of 2.1 m and a length of 450 m
- Three vertical axis Francis type turbines allow a highly efficiently operation with a wide range of flow volumes. One of these holds a nominal flow of 3.18 m3/s, a nominal power of 6.030 kW and 600rpm speed. The other two both were designed for a nominal flow of 6.41 m3/s, power of 12.280kW and rotation speed of 750rpm.