PrintPrintShare
  • Share on facebook
  • Share on twitter

Barasona

History of Barasona

Barasona (Joaquín Costa) Reservoir on the River Ésera, was built by the Hydrographical Confederation of the River Ebro, between 1927-1931, to run into the Aragón and Cataluña canal. The concession to the hydroelectric operation of this reservoir have been held by H.N.E. since 1942, getting the power plant to work in 1949.

Power plant facilities

  • Two FRANCIS-type turbines for a net head of 67 m, which spin at 333 rpm and which have a power of 14,500 HP each. The turbines have butterfly valves, a spiral chamber, blades, impellers and guide bearings, plus the pivot bearing supporting the equipment, although it is not attached to the turbine itself
  • Two alternators to produce power, with copper coils, brand BROWN BOVERI, model WV 300/18, power of 13,000 KVA, 333/700 rpm, 50 Hz and 6,600 V

Location

Joaquín Costa reservoir is also known as Lake Barasona, and it is situated at a distance of only 7 km from Graus, to the south of the River Ésera basin, and on the road to Barbastro from Benasque.

PrintPrintShare
  • Share on facebook
  • Share on twitter

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to cookies policy which can be found here